BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 29, 2008

Ruby Tuesday


Walk to Defeat ALS

All of the people you see in this photo are walking in honor of the memory of my friend who passed away last week because of ALS. His memorial service was Friday morning. The ALS walk was on Saturday. His family organized the team a couple of months ago and by the day of the walk our team alone was 700 strong! The youth ministry at the church had a special student week-end and one of their activities was to participate in this walk. There were 385 junior high and high school students participating. There were probably around 3,000 - 4,000 participants. Last year the event raised $30,000. This year the event exceeded its goal of $175,000.
The event was held at the local minor league baseball park. As you can see, there is nothing like the energy and enthusiasm of youth. Again, everyone in this shot represents our team.


Yep, all of the red and light blue shirts belong to the team representing my dear friend.
The scripture chosen by the family was printed on the back of our shirts. There just weren't enough shirts for all 700 of us, so the students put the paper signs on the back of their red event shirts.
My lovely bride and I had a great time. It was a wonderful day, honoring a wonderful life, and supporting a wonderful cause. I would encourage you to find something truly worthwhile to support and become a part of it. You will receive far more than you give.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a meaningful cause that brought lots of people to it.
Definitely a memorial of a great person.

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful verse! And great cause too!~Mine is posted HERE. Happy RT!~

me ann my camera said...

All the people wearing red in this photo is making a wonderful contribution to both community and the ALS fund.

Unknown said...

Wonderful way to honor someone's memory.

Ivanhoe said...

What an honorable event to put together. I'm sure your friend watched it all proudly from up above :o)

marcia@joyismygoal said...

what a wonderful way to be supportive

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Incredible! I am sure his family was amazed by the support

Unknown said...

that is a God-inspired event!

Mojo said...

Knowing someone who lost her father to ALS, this has a special place in my heart. You go guys!

Melli said...

Oh wow! The fact that I chose your blog to visit today must be a God thing! My BIL died last year from ALS... He was diagnosed in May and died in December... it went THAT fast. God bless you and your team - and all the wonderful work you do!
Thank you!

And by the way... it's a GREAT Ruby!

Ralph said...

As someone who has MD, although not ALS, I hear you. You do so well to be a part of the hope for a cure, I know that MDA is run well as far as research goes.

Your friend does not have the physical problems now...At least I know that my MD issues are temporal at worst. It would be nice to walk again...surely then!

storyteller said...

Oh my … is this YOUR new red Corvette in the header??? Love your Ruby Tuesday post … ALS is a heart-break of a disease.
Hugs and blessings,

Travis Cody said...

Fantastic!

Positive Images Surround Us said...

Great post!

Amazing Gracie said...

What an enormous testimony to the community in honor of your friend.
Salt and light, indeed!
~~~Blessings~~~

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Well done to you and your whole community! An excellent cause... and an excellent tribute.

maryt/theteach said...

Driller, ALS is a terrible disease I know. They way you and your friends celebrated his life is a marvelous thing! So glad to see a picture of you and your pretty wife! Now I've got a picture in my mind. Thanks for posting on Ruby Tuesday! :)