BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, May 8, 2009

Wedding Anniversary


Monday, May 11, my bride and I will celebrate thirty-five years of marriage. In honor of that event, here is what I posted last year at this time. I just changed the number of years. The secret is still the same.

May 11, 1974

So, What's The Secret - May 8, 2008

So what's the secret to being married for thirty-five years and looking forward to celebrating number fifty one day? All I can tell you is that our marriage is centered around our faith and that the message from God's Word is critical to the happiness that each of us enjoys.

First of all, God loves us and everything He does for us is for our benefit. He created the institution of marriage to be enjoyed by a man and a woman and to bring each of them happiness. The Bible tells us that God loved us so much that He gave His Son to die on a cross for us so that we might, through faith, have eternal live. Christ tells the husband that he is to love his wife with the same love that Christ loves the church and gave himself for that church (Ephesians 5:25). If I love my wife with that kind of love, then everything I do, I do because I love her and I want her to be happy. I want her to be pleased with this relationship. I want my Lord to be pleased with me as a man who loves his wife and realizes that his wife is a gift from God created especially for me and for my happiness.
Secondly, marriage is a partnership. Like any relationship, it takes work to maintain that relationship in peak condition. A happy marriage doesn't "just happen". Both of us are committed to the relationship and to each other because we love one another and it is our desire that our partner be happy in this relationship. No major decision in this relationship is made without prayer and conversation. God is not the author of confusion, therefore He will not give my wife a different answer to an issue than the one that He gives me. Again, God created the institution of marriage for our benefit, not for our demise.
Finally, I married a woman far better than I deserve. I thank my Lord and Savior for her every day. My wife is the most thoughtful, caring and giving person that I know. Proverbs 31:10-12 says, "An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." I have found that woman. Proverbs 31:25-30 further states, "Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and teaching of kindness is on her toungue. She looks well to the ways of her houselold, and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all. Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." I married such a woman.
So, back to the original question, "What's the Secret?" The answer is, you have to give yourself to the marriage. You have to give yourself to your spouse. Whatever you have within you, you have to "Give it Away."


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful statement about marriage I have seen in some time. And I love that you still refer to your wife as "my bride". It says that it's still new and special and exciting. Happy Anniversary!

A favorite verse comes to mind from Psalms... "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Travis Cody said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary!

mommanator said...

Happy Anniversary

Love the song, never heard that one before

maryt/theteach said...

Congrats, Driller to you and your lovely bride! Happy Anniversary!

MamaArcher said...

Happy Anniversary! It is an unusual thing in this day and age to make a marraige work, you and your wife are a shining example! May the Lord bless continue to bless you with many more joyous years together!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Have a wondrous Anniversary!

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

HAPPIEST OF ANNIVERSARIES to you and your lovely bride!

...and even though I have a "few years" to catch up to your marital longevity, I agree with your "secret"... use it... and plan to stick around with my lovely bride for as long as she'll have me!

Karen said...

Wow, Happy anniversary! I wish my marriage will last that long and until forever too.
You're right, a relationship that is Christ centered truly last.